Paralegals, under the supervision of a lawyer, help to relieve the lawyer of routine matters, assist in the conduct of more complicated and difficult legal matters, and apply knowledge of the law and legal procedures to draft legal documents.
In 2009, the average annual income in South Carolina for a Paralegal was $41,510*.
*Source: US Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics.
TCL offers a two-year Associate in Applied Science with a Paralegal major and a Paralegal certificate. The certificate program prepares students who already have an Associate or Baccalaureate degree to carry out paralegal duties.
TCL’s Paralegal Program is approved by and subject to the guidelines of the American Bar Association (ABA). A graduate of the Paralegal Program, working directly under the supervision of a practicing attorney*, should be able to:
- Apply knowledge of the law and legal procedures in drafting legal documents and papers
- Exercise judgment, work independently, and meet deadlines with respect to assigned tasks
- Prepare and/or summarize a variety of legal documents and pleadings for review by attorneys
- Select and compile technical and factual information, including legal research to be used in the assigned legal matter
- Conduct client and witness interviews and investigations utilizing the information from the above activities
- Analyze procedural problems and recommend appropriate courses of action and legal solutions
- Practice and maintain the ethical and legal responsibilities of a legal assistant.
*Paralegals may not provide legal services directly to the public, except as permitted by law.
Note: For list of required courses, please see Course Catalog
SPECIALIZED PROGRAM ACCREDITATION:
321 North Clark Street
Chicago, Illinois 60654-7598
Laura Dukes / 843-525-8235/ email@example.com
Paralegal Instructor / Location: Building 2, Room 237
Brian McDaniel / 843-470-6025/ firstname.lastname@example.org
Paralegal Instructor / Location: New River, Room 210
Dr. Kenneth Flick / 843.525.8238 / Fax: 843.470.8413 email@example.com
Business and Industrial Technology Division Dean/Location: Building 14, Room 125