TCL’s Lowcountry Culinary Arts Institute & Interpretive Center
A recipe for workforce development and economic growth:
- Fully funded by local community support. (No state dollars.)
- A workforce pipeline for the region’s Number 1 and Number 2 industries – Resort/Tourism and Healthcare.
- Demonstrated student interest. In AY 16/17, more than 350 high school students enrolled in Beaufort County School District’s culinary program. For Fall 2017, more than 100 prospective college students applied for the College’s culinary and hospitality program.
- Demonstrated need. Analysis of regional job growth predicts 500 new food service jobs annually. An estimated one third or approximately 170 jobs annually, require culinary training – an associate’s degree and/or post-secondary certificate.
The Community Need
The region’s travel and tourism industry is the area’s number one economic driver. The industry competes on the national stage for an increasingly sophisticated culinary consumer. For our local industry to remain healthy and competitive, restaurants and resorts need a locally trained, professional culinary workforce.
- In 2014, Beaufort County posted $1.2 billion dollars in domestic traveler expenditures, about a 5% increase over 2013.
- Travel and tourism expenditures supported $220.7 million in payroll and 13,000 County jobs.
- The County’s food services industry accounted for almost 30% of those dollars and more than 50% of the jobs.
- The County’s travel and tourism industry is expected to continue to grow, bolstered by local initiatives that aim to attract visitors to the area.
The new TCL Lowcountry Culinary Institute, a 26,000 square-foot best-in-class culinary training facility, will feature six academic classrooms; two teaching kitchens; two bake labs; a lecture theater; and a teaching restaurant. Associate degrees and certificates in a variety of in-demand culinary disciplines and specializations will be offered.
- The Sea Pines Resort
- Serg Group
- The Omni Hilton Head Oceanfront Resort
- The Sonesta Resort Hilton Head Island
- The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa
- US Foods
- Fat Patties