The purpose of Defensive Driving is:
- To remove up to 4 points from your driving record and it may reduce your insurance. (You must contact your personal insurance company as all policies differ).
- Points must be present against driver’s record prior to taking the class in order to qualify for the up to 4 point-deduction. Points are not accrued.
- If you have received the letter from the DMV stating you have 30 days until your license expires, you can only take Defensive Driving during that 30 day period. Once your license expires, you cannot take the class to reinstate your license, You will need to call National Safety ASAP.
- The class will not remove any charges from your driving record or restore your suspended license.
- You can only take a defensive driving class for point reduction one time every three years. Contact the National Safety Council if you are unsure when you last attended a class.
- If you have a driver’s license from a state other than SC, it will be up to you to contact the Highway Department from that state to get the points removed from your driving record.
- Restricted Licenses with traffic violations may need to contact the National Safety Council before registering for class. 1-800-733-6185.
for eligible South Carolina residents!
Click here to see eligible programs.