Dependents of Veterans | Technical College of the LowCountry

Technical College of the LowCountry

Navigation Guide

Dependents of Veterans


Thank you for supporting our Veterans! We are excited that you are interested in enrolling at TCL. Please see below for the steps to enrolling at TCL. We look forward to serving you.


(1) Apply to TCL: . Please indicate your military affiliation on the application, in order to be assigned to the Military Student Adviser.

(2) Within two days of acceptance, please setup your TCL Student Email in order to receive college-related correspondence (including your current admissions and financial aid status). Information on setting up your student email, can be found via

(3) Submit proof of residency – Please note: If you have resided in the state of South Carolina and/or Chatham or Effingham counties in Georgia for at least one full year, the “Residency” section on your admissions application will automatically determine your eligibility to receive in-state tuition. If requested, all residency documentation must be submitted to the Office of Admissions or the Military Student Adviser (Building 12, MacLean Hall – Student Center: Room 118) or sent to Admissions / Military Student Adviser via email from your TCL Student Email Account.

(A) Special Residency Exception for Dependents Receiving Chapter 33: Post 9/11 GI Bill® – Eligible students who have lived in SC for less than one full year may qualify for in-state tuition, by submitting the following documents:

  • Certificate of Eligibility – must be in student’s name (to indicate that the benefits were transferred to him/her)
  • Veteran’s DD214 showing honorable discharge within three years of the start of the semester upon entry
  • Proof of dependency indicating the student’s relationship to the active duty service or veteran (i.e., marriage license, birth certificate, and/or adoption paperwork)

Other documentation can also prove residency:

  • South Carolina or Georgia (Effingham & Chatham County Residents) Driver’s License with an issue date of one-year or more. If license was recently reissued, student can provide a 3-year driving record from their local DMV.
  • South Carolina or Georgia (Effingham & Chatham County Residents) Rental / Lease / Mortgage Agreement – must show residency of more than one-year.
  • Provide a signed copy of both Federal and South Carolina or Georgia (Effingham & Chatham County Residents) Tax Returns.
  • South Carolina or Georgia (Effingham & Chatham County Residents) Vehicle Registration Cards for all vehicles registered in student’s name.
  • Letter from Employer on Company Letterhead (if employed full-time or part-time with benefits).
  • Proof of retirement (i.e. pension), must have SC Driver’s license (issued within 90 days of lease and mortgage agreement), and proof of domicile in SC.

(4) Submit your official high school or GED transcript. Contact your high school / Board of Education Office or GED Coordinator. Transcripts must be sent to Admissions via mail, in-person, or electronically via Parchment or other electronic sources.

(5) If you are a college transfer, please also submit your official college transcripts. Transcripts must be sent to Student Records via mail, in-person, or electronically via Parchment or other electronic sources. If you are transferring in College Level English and Math credits, you will not need to take the placement test.

(6) Apply for financial aid via TCL’s school code is 009910. Please visit this link,, for more information.

(7) Applying for VA Benefits: Veteran dependents may qualify for Chapter 33 or Chapter 35 benefits. More information about these two VA Chapters is listed below and on the Applying for VA Benefits Webpage. You can contact the US Department of Veteran Affairs for more information on your eligibility at (888) 442-4551.

  • Chapter 33 – Post 9/11 GI Bill® Eligibility: Active Duty Military Service Members can also transfer their Post 9/11 (Chapter 33) benefits to their spouse and/or dependents If so, you can apply online at Make sure that you select “TCL (Technical College of the Lowcountry)” as your place of training.
  • Chapter 35 – Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Eligibility: If the veteran has died or is permanently disabled from service connected causes, dependent children (ages 18 through 26, unless student meets exception guidelines) and/or the spouse may qualify for Chapter 35 benefits. You can apply online at

Be sure to print out a copy of the confirmation of the GI Bill®. Within three to four weeks, you should be able to retrieve your Certificate of Eligibility from

(8) South Carolina Free Tuition for Children of Certain War Veterans, Police Officers, Firemen, or Rescue Workers: Children of deceased or 100% disabled Veterans, who were killed or disabled during military service, can attend any SC State supported institutions up until their 26th birthday and pay no tuition. Applications are available on this site: If approved, you will get a letter mailed from the South Carolina’s Governor Office. If you are transferring to TCL and have previously used this benefit, you will need to contact the South Carolina Department of Veterans Affairs to request a transfer letter at 803.647.2434.


(9) Take the placement testing, if needed: You may need to call the Testing Center at (843) 470-8400 to schedule your appointment. Practice tests are available at

(10) Visit the Veterans Resource Center located in Building. 12 – MacLean Hall, Room 107.

(11) Effective December2019:  All students must complete the VA Educational Benefits Enrollment Certification Consent Form and submit this document along with a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility and class schedule to the VA Certifying Official via email to or inside the Financial Aid Office (Building 2: Coleman Hall: Room – 139) or the Veterans Resource Center.

  • The VA Educational Benefits Enrollment Certification Consent Form must be submitted with a copy of your schedule and bill each semester, in order for your benefits to be certified. You will need to use your TCL Student Email to send your VA documentation, if you decide to use the email option.

(12) Submit your South Carolina Free Tuition (Governor) Letter to the VA Certifying Official via email to or inside the Financial Aid Office (Building 2: Coleman Hall: Room – 139) or the Veterans Resource Center.. You will need to use your TCL Student Email to send your approved Free Tuition Letter via email.

(13) If you have a remaining balance, you can make payments online on your Self Service account or inside the Cashier’s Office inside Building 3. They accept cash, check, Visa, MasterCard, or American Express.

(14) If you are expecting a refund, sign-up for your refund to be direct deposited into your bank account via Questions, please contact the Cashier’s Office at 843-525-8355.

(15) Complete registration to attend New Student Orientation via  to obtain your Student ID and Parking Permit and learn more information about the college

(16) Purchase textbooks and supplies inside the Bookstore located in Building 12 – MacLean Hall, Room 102 or visit their website online at

Need Help

On Campus:

Director of Veteran Services
Christina Welsch-Copeland  –
As the campus is closed to students and visitors I will be working from the bases. Please contact me at my email above or on my cell phone – 317-366-8489 – at any time and I will be happy to help you at any point!

Military Student Adviser
Jamella Taylor  –
Monday thru Thursday – 0830-1730
Friday – 0830-1130
Bldg 12, Rm 118
Phone: 843-525-8340

On Base:

Christina Welsch-Copeland –

Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island
Bldg 923,  Rm 30
Phone: 843-228-2659

Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort
Bldg 596, Room 107A
Phone: 843-228-7494

Important Content

Navigation, Links, and More

©Copyright 2018 All Rights Reserved