Free tuition for the high school class of 2021.
TCL is excited to help fulfill your dream of higher education. With support from the TCL Foundation, the Building a Better Lowcountry (BBL) Scholarship will ensure that all qualified graduates can attend college at TCL tuition-free.*
The Building a Better Lowcountry Scholarship ensures that any recent graduate from a qualifying public high school that meets the academic eligibility criteria can attend the Technical College of the Lowcountry for up to two years-tuition free. The BBL Scholarship encourages students to work harder in high school secure in the knowledge that a lack of family financial resources will not keep them from attending college.
What is the value of the scholarship?The BBL Scholarship is awarded to a qualifying student who enrolls in a one-year occupational, two-year technical or university transfer program at the Technical College of the Lowcountry. The scholarship will cover the remaining tuition costs of attending TCL after all other available scholarship, lottery and financial aid funds have been secured for student. The BBL Scholarship is designed to fulfill financial gaps not fulfilled by other scholarship funds.
Building a Better Lowcountry Scholarship Details
- You must be a 2021 graduate of a Public High School or Public Charter School from Beaufort, Colleton, Hampton or Jasper County.
- Qualifying GPA- 3.0 for one-year occupational certificates, two-year technical degrees or two-year university transfer degrees.
- Must be enrolled full-time in college level courses. Full-time is 12 credit hours or more. Developmental courses are not covered by BBL.
- The scholarship is awarded for a period of four academic terms, fall and spring semesters only, immediately following graduation. The scholarship does not cover summer semester registration.
- BBL recipients must maintain full-time enrollment and a qualifying GPA of 3.0 each semester to remain eligible to receive the scholarship.
- Scholarship applicants must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and meet all residency requirements for in-state tuition. Students must apply for state-sponsored scholarships such as LIFE, HOPE, the SC Need-Based Grant Program, SC Wins or the Lottery Tuition Assistance Program.
- University Transfer Program applicants are encouraged to apply to be University Scholars and receive an additional $500 per semester!
**For a full list of requirements, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org**
Ready to Enroll? Here’s how:
Step 1: Apply online. Click here to begin and complete the TCL admissions applications online.
Step 2: Complete the FAFSA. Complete the federal government’s Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.ed.gov . TCL’s school code is 009910.
Step 3: Set up your Self-Service and Email Accounts. Activate both your TCL Email Account and TCL Self-Service Student Planner accounts immediately to access information to assist you in the enrollment process. Please click here to see full instructions on setting up your TCL Email accounts.If you need further assistance, contact the Help Desk at email@example.com or 843-525-8344.
Step 3: Gather your official High School transcript and required documentation for proof of legal presence or residency. Bring them to Admissions in Building 2 at the Beaufort Campus or to the Hub at the New River Campus in Bluffton. **Due to campus closures with COVID-19, please submit transcripts electronically. Other documentation must be submitted using your TCL email account.**
Step 4: Take the placement test if needed. Enrollment services will let you know if you need to take a placement test. If you have high enough SAT or ACT scores, you will not have to take a placement test! Be sure to verify with enrollment services. (Documentation will be required.)**Due to COVID-19 we are currently using High School transcripts and SAT/ACT scores for assessment. Please submit those electronically to Admissions**
Step 5: Sign-Up for New Student Orientation at www.tcl.edu/orientation.
Step 6: Meet with your advisor. Contact your advisor immediately to set up an appointment for advisement. As a new student, your advisor will help you choose your appropriate classes. Be sure to communicate with your advisor that you must be enrolled full-time to be eligible for BBL. Click here for some helpful information regarding meeting your advisor.
Step 7: Register for classes After you meet with your Academic Advisor, register online using your TCL Self-Service Student Planner. Use the Quick Student Planning and Registration Guide for step by step registration instructions.
Step 8: Contact Financial Aid. Reach a financial aid representative by phone, by simply calling 843-525-8207 or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org. Check Self-Service to make sure you have completed all required documentation for verification and that your aid has been applied. All students eligible for the BBL scholarship will be contacted in Self-Service and TCL email. You must sign and submit the BBL Scholarship Form for the aid to be applied.
Step 10: Obtain Student ID and Parking Pass. You can get your student ID card and free parking decal at Student Records, Bldg. 2 on the Beaufort Campus, Security Desk at New River, and at the front desk at the Hampton Campus.
Step 11: Purchase Books. You can purchase your books and necessary supplies at the TCL College Store. Make sure you have your class schedule and student ID with you. That’s in MacLean Hall, Bldg. 12. **Due to COVID-19, the bookstore is operating with online orders.**
*Qualifications vary. Please see above for details and for eligibility criteria.