The LIFE Scholarship covers up to $2500 for tuition and fee costs, of which $150 can be used as a book allowance in both the fall and spring semesters. See full details here.
Requirements include, but are not limited to, the following:
- South Carolina Residency must be established to be considered.
- Graduation from a South Carolina high school with a cumulative minimum GPA of 3.0(see additional requirements for students who completed a GED and/or homeschool program).
- Must submit official SC high school transcripts, GED, or homeschool transcripts (and all college transcripts if applicable) to TCL’s Enrollment Services office.
- Enrollment in developmental, bridge, credit non-degree or remedial classes does not count toward full-time enrollment status or toward the annual 30 credit hour requirement.
- Must complete a LIFE scholarship affidavit each year and submit it to the TCL Financial Aid Office.
The official rules pertaining to the South Carolina LIFE Scholarship Program currently state that in order for students to qualify for the scholarship, students must meet specific criteria to be considered. For full details, eligibility and renewal requirements, visit the South Carolina Commission on Higher Education website at http://www.che.sc.gov . Some of these additional criteria and information are listed below. Please read carefully.
Current Eligibility Requirements
- Enrollment in at least 12 college level (non-developmental/bridge or remedial courses) credits each semester to meet the full-time enrollment requirement. A student must complete a 30, annual credit hour requirement to qualify for renewal. NOTE: If you withdraw from classes after the final add/drop date, you will still receive the LIFE scholarship. However, you would need to attend during summer term to make up the needed credit hours for renewal. Students who attend in the summer typically do not have any remaining Pell funds, cannot receive Lottery Tuition Assistance, and if the summer is being used to earn the 30 credit hours, LIFE funds will also not be available for use.
- Students may only be considered for the LIFE Scholarship for two years from the date of initial college enrollment when working towards a two-year degree. For students taking remedial or bridge courses, you are granted one year of grace period to take those courses, however, you may NOT use your LIFE scholarship during that time.
- Students who are LIFE Scholarship recipients are not eligible to receive the Lottery Tuition Assistance, except during the remediation period or one year grace period.
- Students with disabilities may be approved to take a reduced course load (instead of 12 credit hours) to meet the full-time enrollment requirement and the 30, annual credit hour requirement. The approval must come from TCL’s Disability Services Office prior to the last day of the add/drop period. Please contact Disability Services at 843-525-8219 for more information.
The Technical College of the Lowcountry is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, national origin, age, religion, marital status, veteran status, disability or political affiliation or belief. LIFE Affidavit to reflect H.3906 and the LIFE Scholarship Regulations as defined by the Student Services Division of SC Commission on Higher Education for LIFE. Form revised 04-24-2018.