Overview – What is Title IX
Title IX is a federal law that prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in any federally funded education program or activity. All federal agencies that provide funding for any education or training programs have new responsibilities in ensuring that their recipients comply with the nondiscrimination mandate of Title IX and its procedural requirements by establishing a method for receiving and resolving sex-based discrimination complaints.
Who is protected?
Title IX protects students, employees, applicants for admission and employment for all forms of sex discrimination, including discrimination based on gender identity or failure to conform to stereotypical notions of masculinity or femininity. All students are protected – regardless of their sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, part-or full-time status, disability, race, or national origin – in all aspects of a recipient’s education programs and activities.
Confidentiality will always be maintained to the fullest extent possible. However, confidentiality of the allegation and identity of the complainant cannot be guaranteed because fairness to the individual accused must be considered, as well as, the safety and welfare of all members of the college community and may require the disclosure of the allegation and identity of the complainant to the community.
Local, State, and National Resources
- Hopeful Horizons, Beaufort, SC https://www.hopefulhorizons.org/
- Rape Crisis & Children’s Advocacy Center 1-800-868-2632 (24 Hour Hotline) | 1-843-524-2256
- Domestic Violence (formerly CODA) 1-800-868-2632 (24 Hour Hotline) | 1-843-770-1070
- SC Coalition Against Domestic Violence & Sexual Assault 803-256-2900
- DoD Safe Helpline (Military) 877-995-5247
Student Code Procedures for Addressing Alleged Acts of Sexual Violence and Sexual Harassment See Student Handbook
- Title IX Coordinator: Nancy H Weber, Vice President for Student Affairs, firstname.lastname@example.org, 843-525-8226
- Title IX Deputy Coordinator: Rodney Adams, Associate VP for Student Affairs, email@example.com, 843-525-8219
- Title IX Deputy Coordinator: Sharon O’Neal, Director Human Resources, firstname.lastname@example.org, 843-525-8248