The Technical College of the Lowcountry is committed to protecting the privacy of all students, including those in online and hybrid courses. The College uses the following procedures to ensure confidentiality of student information and privacy for distance learning students.
- To protect the privacy of all students, including distance learning students, the Technical College of the Lowcountry complies with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, as published in the Student Handbook, course syllabi, and college policies and procedures. (See Policy 4.1.405 and Procedure 4.1.405.1)
- As stated in the TCL Student Code, information about individual student views, beliefs, and political associations acquired by instructors, counselors, or administrators in the course of their work is confidential. It can be disclosed to others only with prior written consent of the student involved or under legal compulsion.
- TCL uses the Blackboard Learning Management System (LMS) to provide on-line and hybrid courses. The office of Information Technology limits system administrative access to employees who directly manage this system and provides a password-protected entry portal to ensure that the student enrolled in the course is the student who enters the online classroom. New students are required to establish their own password upon initial login and can change their password confidentially at any time. Students are responsible for protecting their secure login information throughout their enrollment at the college. Students should never be asked or required to disclose passwords to their accounts to any college employee or to other students.
- Faculty and staff are trained in the importance of protecting student privacy and maintaining confidentiality of student information. The password-protected LMS ensures privacy of individual students’ records, such as grades and attendance. Students can view only their own information and information posted to areas made accessible to the whole class by the instructor, such as discussion boards.
- Some online exams may be proctored using an online proctoring solution. Information on online proctoring is included in syllabi for these courses. Confidentiality of proctoring information is maintained by the proctoring service provider and the respective instructor and LMS administrator.