Thank you for supporting our Veterans! We are excited that you are interested in enrolling at TCL. Please see below for the steps to enrolling at TCL. We look forward to serving you.
BEFORE YOU COME ON-CAMPUS:
(1) Apply to TCL: https://www.tcl.edu/admissions/apply/ . Please indicate your military affiliation on the application, in order to be assigned to the Military Student Adviser.
(2) Within two days of acceptance, please setup your TCL Student Email in order to receive college-related correspondence (including your current admissions and financial aid status). Information on setting up your student email, can be found via https://www.tcl.edu/campus-life/social/student-email/.
(3) Submit proof of residency – Please note: If you have resided in the state of South Carolina and/or Chatham or Effingham counties in Georgia for at least one full year, the “Residency” section on your admissions will automatically determine your eligibility to receive in-state tuition. If requested, all residency documentation must be submitted to the Office of Admissions or the Military Student Adviser (Building 12 – Student Center: Room 118) or sent to Admissions / Military Student Adviser via email from your TCL Student Email Account.
(A) Special Residency Exception for Dependents Receiving Chapter 33: Post 9/11 GI Bill® – Eligible students who have lived in SC for less than one full year may qualify for in-state tuition, by submitting the following documents:
- Certificate of Eligibility – must be in student’s name (to indicate that the benefits were transferred to him/her)
- Veteran’s DD214 showing honorable discharge within three years of the start of the semester upon entry
- Proof of dependency indicating the student’s relationship to the active duty service or veteran (i.e., marriage license, birth certificate, and/or adoption paperwork)
(4) Submit your official high school or GED transcript. Contact your high school / Board of Education Office or GED Coordinator. Transcripts must be sent to Admissions via mail, in-person, or electronically via Parchment or other electronic sources.
(5) If you are a college transfer, please also submit your official college transcripts. Transcripts must be sent to Student Records via mail, in-person, or electronically via Parchment or other electronic sources. If you are transferring in College Level English and Math credits, you will not need to take the placement test.
(6) Apply for financial aid via https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa. TCL’s school code is 009910. Please visit this link, https://www.tcl.edu/paying-for-tcl/financial-aid/financial-aid-process/, for more information.
(7) Applying for VA Benefits: Veteran dependents may qualify for Chapter 33 or Chapter 35 benefits. More information about these two VA Chapters is listed below. You can contact the US Department of Veteran Affairs for more information on your eligibility at (888) 442-4551.
- Chapter 33 – Post 9/11 GI Bill Eligibility: Active Duty Military Service Members can also transfer their Post 9/11 (Chapter 33) benefits to their spouse and/or dependents https://www.va.gov/education/transfer-post-9-11-gi-bill-benefits/. If so, you can apply online at https://www.va.gov/education/apply/. Make sure that you select “TCL (Technical College of the Lowcountry)” as your place of training.
- Chapter 35 – Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Eligibility: If the veteran has died or is permanently disabled from service connected causes, dependent children (ages 18 through 26, unless student meets exception guidelines) and/or the spouse may qualify for Chapter 35 benefits. You can apply online at https://www.va.gov/education/survivor-dependent-benefits/
Be sure to print out a copy of the confirmation of the GI Bill. Within three to four weeks, you should be able to retrieve your Certificate of Eligibility from https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/manage
(8) South Carolina Free Tuition for Children of Certain War Veterans, Police Officers, Firemen, or Rescue Workers: Children of deceased or 100% disabled Veterans, who were killed or disabled during military service, can attend any SC State supported institutions up until their 26th birthday and pay no tuition. Applications are available on this site: http://va.sc.gov/documents/OEPP-703A.pdf.. If approved, you will get a letter mailed from the South Carolina’s Governor Office.
WHEN YOU COME ON-CAMPUS:
(10) Visit the Veterans Resource Center located in Building. 12 – MacLean, Room 107.
- Login to your TCL Email and access your TCL Self Service. More information on how to access your TCL Self Service account, can be found on https://www.tcl.edu/student-services/registration/self-service/.
- Meet with your assigned Academic Adviser and register for classes through TCL Self Service.
(11) Submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility class schedule to the VA Certifying Official every semester to Ms. Jamie Oglesby at firstname.lastname@example.org or the Veterans Resource Center.
(12) Submit your South Carolina Free Tuition (Governor) Letter to the VA Certifying Official every semester to Ms. Jamie Oglesby at email@example.com or the Veterans Resource Center.
(13) If you have a remaining balance, you can make payments online on your Self Service account or inside the Cashier’s Office inside Building 3. They accept cash, check, Visa, MasterCard, or American Express.
(14) If you are expecting a refund, sign-up for your refund to be direct deposited into your bank account via https://www.tcl.edu/paying-for-tcl/tuition-fees/disbursement-checks/. Questions, please contact the Cashier’s Office at 843-525-8355.
(15) Complete registration to attend New Student Orientation via https://www.tcl.edu/admissions/new-student-orientation/ to obtain your Student ID and Parking Permit and learn more information about the college
(16) Purchase textbooks and supplies inside the Bookstore in Building 12 – MacLean Hall, Room 102 at http://bookstore.tcl.edu/Home
Director of Veteran Services
Christina Welsch-Copeland – firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday thru Thursday – 0830-1730
Friday – 0830-1130
Bldg 12, Rm 107
Military Student Adviser
Jamella Taylor – email@example.com
Monday thru Thursday – 0830-1730
Friday – 0830-1130
Bldg 12, Rm 118
Military Community Liaison:
Henry Dreier firstname.lastname@example.org
Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island
Monday and Wednesday
Bldg 923, Rm 30
Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort
Tuesday and Thursday
Bldg 596, Room 107A