Are you a spouse or dependent of an Active-Duty Military member?
Well, first of all, let us thank you for your support! Now, let us support you in this process. Please see below for steps to enrolling at TCL.
BEFORE YOU COME ON-CAMPUS
(1) Apply to TCL: https://www.tcl.edu/admissions/apply/. Please indicate your military affiliation on the application, in order to be assigned to the Military Student Adviser.
(2) Within two days of acceptance, please setup your TCL Student Email in order to receive college-related correspondence (including your current admissions and financial aid status). Information on setting up your student email, can be found via https://www.tcl.edu/campus-life/social/student-email/.
(3) Submit proof of residency – Members of the United States Armed Forced who are permanently assigned in South Carolina or Fort Stewart or Hunter Army Airfield in Georgia on active duty and their dependents are eligible to pay in-state tuition rates. The student must provide their military orders and most recent LES (Leave and Earnings Statement) to the Office of Admissions or the Military Student Adviser (Building 12, MacLean Hall – Student Center: Room 118) or send to Admissions / Military Student Adviser via email from your TCL Student Email Account. Please note: If you have resided in the state of South Carolina and/or Chatham or Effingham counties in Georgia for at least one full year, the “Residency” section on your admissions will automatically determine your eligibility to receive in-state tuition.
(4) Submit your official high school or GED transcript. Contact your high school / Board of Education Office or GED Coordinator. Transcripts must be sent to Admissions via mail, in-person, or electronically via Parchment or other electronic sources.
(5) If you are a college transfer, please also submit your official college transcripts. Transcripts must be sent to Student Records via mail, in-person, or electronically via Parchment or other electronic sources. If you are transferring in College Level English and Math credits, you will not need to take the placement test.
(6) Active Duty Military Spouses Only* – Apply for the MyCAA (Military Spouse Career Advancement Account) Scholarship on https://mycaa.militaryonesource.mil/mycaa/. Spouses of service members on active duty in pay grades E-1 to E-5, W-1 to W-2 and O-1 to O-2 can potentially begin and complete their college coursework while their military sponsor is on Title 10 military orders, including spouses married to members of the National Guard and reserve component in these same pay grades. Please contact the Education Office on base for more information on how to apply.
(7) Apply for financial aid via https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa. TCL’s school code is 009910. Please visit this link, https://www.tcl.edu/paying-for-tcl/financial-aid/financial-aid-process/, for more information.
(8) Active Duty Military Service Members can also transfer their Post 9/11 (Chapter 33) benefits to their spouse and/or dependents https://www.va.gov/education/transfer-post-9-11-gi-bill-benefits/. If so, you can apply online at https://www.va.gov/education/apply/. Make sure that you select “TCL (Technical College of the Lowcountry)” as your place of training. You can contact the US Department of Veteran Affairs for more information on your eligibility at (888) 442-4551.
Be sure to print out a copy of the confirmation of the GI Bill®. Within three to four weeks, you should be able to retrieve your Certificate of Eligibility from https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/manage
WHEN YOU COME ON-CAMPUS:
(9) Take the placement testing, if needed: tcl.edu/admissions/placement-testing/. You may need to call the Testing Center at (843) 470-8400 to schedule your appointment, beforehand. Practice tests are available at www.accuplacer.org.
(10) Visit the Veterans Resource Center located in Building. 12 – MacLean Hall, Room 107.
- Login to your TCL Email and access your TCL Self Service. More information on how to access your TCL Self Service account, can be found on https://www.tcl.edu/student-services/registration/self-service/.
- Meet with your assigned Academic Adviser and register for classes through TCL Self Service.
(11) Once registered for classes, our team can complete the Education Training Plan (ETP) as needed for your MyCAA request to be approved.
(12) Submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility and class schedule to the VA Certifying Official to Ms. Jamie Oglesby at firstname.lastname@example.org or the Veterans Resource Center. Don’t forget to submit your schedule and bill each semester, in order for your benefits to be certified.
(13) Submit your MyCAA Scholarship Voucher to the Cashier’s Office at email@example.com or inside Building 3. Pay for tuition if not using Tuition Assistance and other financial aid.
(14) If you have a remaining balance, you can make payments online on your Self Service account or inside the Cashier’s Office inside Building 3. They accept cash, check, Visa, MasterCard, or American Express.
(15) If you are expecting a refund, sign-up for your refund to be direct deposited into your bank account via https://www.tcl.edu/paying-for-tcl/tuition-fees/disbursement-checks/. Questions, please contact the Cashier’s Office at 843-525-8355.
(16) Complete registration to attend New Student Orientation via https://www.tcl.edu/admissions/new-student-orientation/ to obtain your Student ID and Parking Permit and learn more information about the college.
(17) Purchase textbooks and supplies inside the Bookstore located in Building 12 – MacLean Hall, Room 102 or visit their website online at http://bookstore.tcl.edu/Home.
Director of Veteran Services
Christina Welsch-Copeland firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday thru Thursday – 0830-1730
Friday – 0830-1130
Bldg 12, Rm 107
Military Student Adviser
Jamella Taylor email@example.com
Monday thru Thursday – 0800-1730
Friday – 0830-1130
Bldg 12, Rm 118
Contact our on base Military Community Liaison:
Henry Dreier firstname.lastname@example.org
Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island
Monday and Wednesday
Bldg 923, Rm 30
Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort
Tuesday and Thursday
Bldg 596, Room 107A