Active Duty Spouses & Dependents | Technical College of the LowCountry

Active Duty Spouses & Dependents


Are you a spouse or dependent of an Active-Duty Military member?

Well, first of all, let us thank you for your support! Now, let us support you in this process. Please see below for steps to enrolling at TCL.


(1) Apply to TCL: Please indicate your military affiliation on the application, in order to be assigned to the Military Student Adviser.

(2) Within two days of acceptance, please setup your TCL Student Email in order to receive college-related correspondence (including your current admissions and financial aid status). Information on setting up your student email, can be found via

(3) Submit proof of residency – Please note: If you have resided in the state of South Carolina and/or Chatham or Effingham counties in Georgia for at least one full year, the “Residency” section on your admissions application will automatically determine your eligibility to receive in-state tuition. If requested, all residency documentation must be submitted to the Office of Admissions or the Military Student Adviser (Building 12, MacLean Hall – Student Center: Room 118) or sent to Admissions / Military Student Adviser via email from your TCL Student Email Account. Members of the United States Armed Forced who are permanently assigned in South Carolina or Fort Stewart or Hunter Army Airfield in Georgia on active duty and their dependents are eligible to pay in-state tuition rates. The student must provide copies of the following:

  • Active Duty Service Member’s military orders, and
  • Active Duty Service Member’s most recent LES (Leave and Earnings Statement), and
  • Proof of dependency indicating the student’s relationship to the active duty service member (i.e., marriage license, birth certificate, and/or adoption paperwork)

Other documentation can also prove residency:

  • South Carolina or Georgia (Effingham & Chatham County Residents) Driver’s License with an issue date of one-year or more. If license was recently reissued, student can provide a 3-year driving record from their local DMV.
  • South Carolina or Georgia (Effingham & Chatham County Residents) Rental / Lease / Mortgage Agreement – must show residency of more than one-year.
  • Provide a signed copy of both Federal and South Carolina or Georgia (Effingham & Chatham County Residents) Tax Returns.
  • South Carolina or Georgia (Effingham & Chatham County Residents) Vehicle Registration Cards for all vehicles registered in student’s name.
  • Letter from Employer on Company Letterhead (if employed full-time or part-time with benefits).
  • Proof of retirement (i.e. pension), must have SC Driver’s license (issued within 90 days of lease and mortgage agreement), and proof of domicile in SC.

(4) Submit your official high school or GED transcript. Contact your high school / Board of Education Office or GED Coordinator. Transcripts must be sent to Admissions via mail, in-person, or electronically via Parchment or other electronic sources.

(5) If you are a college transfer, please also submit your official college transcripts. Transcripts must be sent to Student Records via mail, in-person, or electronically via Parchment or other electronic sources. If you are transferring in College Level English and Math credits, you will not need to take the placement test.

(6) Active Duty Military Spouses Only* – Apply for the MyCAA (Military Spouse Career Advancement Account) Scholarship on Spouses of service members on active duty in pay grades E-1 to E-5, W-1 to W-2 and O-1 to O-2 can potentially begin and complete their college coursework while their military sponsor is on Title 10 military orders, including spouses married to members of the National Guard and reserve component in these same pay grades. Please contact the Education Office on base or a MyCAA Career Coach at 1-800-342-9647 for more information on how to apply.

(7) Apply for financial aid via TCL’s school code is 009910. Please visit this link,, for more information.

(8) Active Duty Military Service Members can also transfer their Chapter 33: Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® benefits to their spouse and/or dependents Please refer to our Applying for VA Benefits page to view more about the various VA Education Benefit Programs. If so, you can apply online at Make sure that you select “TCL (Technical College of the Lowcountry)” as your place of training. You can contact the US Department of Veteran Affairs for more information on your eligibility at (888) 442-4551.

Be sure to print out a copy of the confirmation of the GI Bill®. Within three to four weeks, you should be able to retrieve your Certificate of Eligibility from


(9) Take the placement testing, if needed: You may need to call the Testing Center at (843) 470-8400 to schedule your appointment, beforehand.  Practice tests are available at

(10) Visit the Veterans Resource Center located in Building. 12 – MacLean Hall, Room 107.

(11) Once registered for classes, our team can complete the Education Training Plan (ETP) as needed for your MyCAA request to be approved.

(12) Effective December 2019:  All students must complete the fillable VA Educational Benefits Enrollment Certification Consent Form and submit this document along with a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility and class schedule to the VA Certifying Official via email to or inside the Financial Aid Office (Building 2: Coleman Hall: Room – 139) or the Veterans Resource Center.

  • The VA Educational Benefits Enrollment Certification Consent Form must be submitted with a copy of your schedule and bill each semester, in order for your benefits to be certified. You will need to use your TCL Student Email to send your VA documentation, if you decide to use the email option.

(13) Submit your MyCAA Scholarship Voucher to the Cashier’s Office at or inside Building 3. You will need to use your TCL Student Email to send your approved MyCAA Voucher via email. Pay for tuition if not using Tuition Assistance and other financial aid.

(14) If you have a remaining balance, you can make payments online on your Self Service account or inside the Cashier’s Office inside Building 3. They accept cash, check, Visa, MasterCard, or American Express.

(15) If you are expecting a refund, sign-up for your refund to be direct deposited into your bank account via Questions, please contact the Cashier’s Office at 843-525-8355.

(16) Complete registration to attend New Student Orientation via  to obtain your Student ID and Parking Permit and learn more information about the college.

(17) Purchase textbooks and supplies inside the Bookstore located in Building 12 – MacLean Hall, Room 102 or visit their website online at

Need Help

On Campus:

Director of Veteran Services
Christina Welsch-Copeland
As the campus is closed to students and visitors I will be working from the bases. Please contact me at my email above or on my cell phone – 317-366-8489 – at any time and I will be happy to help you at any point!

Military Student Adviser
Jamella Taylor
Monday thru Thursday – 0800-1730
Friday – 0830-1130
Bldg 12, Rm 118
Phone: 843-525-8340

Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island
Bldg 923,  Rm 30
Phone: 843-228-2659

Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort
Bldg 596, Room 107A
Phone: 843-228-7494