First Things First — The FAFSA!
All students should complete the federal government’s Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa. TCL’s school code is 009910. You must complete the FAFSA for all financial aid including the SC Lottery Tuition Assistance program.
|To ensure funds are available before your fees are due, submit all documents by the following dates:|
FAFSA and File Completion:
April 15, 2021
Loan Requests: Apr. 15, 2021
May 28, 2021
File Completion: Jun. 4, 2021
Loan Requests: Jun. 4, 2021
Nov. 15, 2021
File Completion: Nov. 22, 2021
Loan Requests: Nov. 22, 2021
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa.
- Enter TCL’s Federal School Code, 009910, on the FAFSA for all campuses.
- If you and/or your parent need to apply for an FSA ID, go to fsaid.ed.gov.
- Students must complete a FAFSA each academic year.
- Have all parent/student tax information, W-2s, social security numbers available.
- You may be able to import the student and/or parent tax information to your FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.
- Answer ALL questions truthfully and complete all requested sections.
Sign the FAFSA using the FSA ID and click submit.
- Ensure that your FAFSA has been submitted successfully via the confirmation page.
Have FAFSA questions? Check out these helpful videos on everything FAFSA and get your questions answered.
Check your email
After you submit the FAFSA, it will take approximately 7 to 10 business days for the TCL Financial Aid Office to receive your information. Once received, we will immediately contact you via your TCL student email account. We will include your award notification (an award letter) or request additional documents. For example, we might request copies of tax return transcripts, W-2s, or a form from our office. Please check your TCL student email account often, or visit our office! We’re here to help.
If You Are Selected For Verification
TCL is required to verify certain information provided by a student or parent (if dependent) on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Applications requiring review are flagged by the US Department of Education and the student will be selected for verification.
Students will be notified via their TCL student email concerning verification requirements. The type of documents required for submission will vary from student to student. Please note that using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to populate your FAFSA tax information will make the verification process more efficient because the tax information will be verified by the IRS Data Retrieval.
Upon completion of verification an award change could occur. Your expected family contribution (EFC) could increase, decrease or remain the same. A change in EFC could have an effect on federal/state grant eligibility and student loans.
We encourage students and/or their families to submit all documents to the Financial Aid Office as soon as possible for quickest processing.