Technical College of the Lowcountry is committed to serving veterans, active duty students and their dependents stationed at military installations located in our area. Whether it is help with counseling, admissions, registration, tuition assistance or financial aid, we have a dedicated staff available to help meet your needs.
The best person for you to start the admissions process with is theTCL Admissions Manager or the TCL Military Consultant at Parris Island and the Marine Corps Air Station. They can assist you with the admission and financial aid process as well as helping with other questions.
TCL Admissions Manager: Ashley Faubion / 843-470-8405 / email@example.com
Military Consultant / Marine Corps Recruit Depot / Parris Island / Education Office
923 Chosin Reservoir Rd. Room 30 • Parris Island, SC 29905
Phone: 843-228-2659 / Fax: 843-525-8285
Military Consultant / Marine Corps Air Station / Merritt Field / Education Office
Building 596, Room 107 • Geiger Blvd
Phone: 843-228-7494 / Fax: 843-525-8285
There are a few other documents you will need in order to apply online. Active duty students will need to provide a copy of orders to SC and a copy of military ID card after completing the online application. These documents can be turned in at the Enrollment Services Office at 921 Ribaut Rd, Building 2 or to the military coordinator on base at building 923, room #30. They can also be turned into Student Services at our New River Location, and our Hampton Campus.
Military spouses will need to provide a copy of spouse’s orders to SC and a copy of dependent ID card. You must also provide a copy of your birth certificate and a copy of your marriage license after completion of the online application. These documents can be turned in at the Enrollment Services Office located in Building 2 at 921 Ribaut Rd or to the military coordinator on base at building 923, room #30 after completion of the online application. They can also be turned into Student Services at our New River Location, and our Hampton Campus.
Please review the application for any additional documentation that may be required such as proof of citizenship and residency. Your application is not complete until all required documentation is submitted.
SERVICE MEMBERS OPPORTUNITY COLLEGES (SOC)
Technical College of the Lowcountry is a member of the Service members Opportunity Colleges (SOC) Consortium and the SOC Degree Network System.
Service Members Opportunity Colleges Consortium
The SOC Consortium consists of colleges and universities committed to expanding and improving voluntary postsecondary educational opportunities for service members worldwide. SOC Consortium members subscribe to principles and criteria to ensure that quality academic programs are available to active-duty military students, their family members, and veterans. A list of current SOC Consortium member institutions can be found on the SOC Web site at http://www.soc.aascu.org/.
SOC Degree Network System Membership
Technical College of the Lowcountry is a member of the SOC Degree Network System, a subgroup of SOC Consortium member institutions selected by the military services to deliver specific associate degree programs to service members and their families. As a member of the DNS, we have agreed to adhere to academic policies intended to support military students in their academic endeavors towards degree completion. Technical College of the Lowcountry is approved for membership in SOCNAV/SOCMAR at the associate level.
TCL accepts up to 30 semester credit hours of the following:
- College credit earned at regionally accredited post-secondary educational institutions (grade of C or above)
- Military courses recognized in the Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Forces (ACE – American Council on Education Guide)
- Experiential learning – knowledge/skills gained through specific MOS or NEC responsibilities or military schools that equate to competencies developed in TCL courses. Credit for non-traditional learning depends on academic major and program of study.
- SMART – Sailor/Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript To have military experience evaluated for college credit:
- Obtain a SMART portfolio by visiting either of the websites smart.cnet.navy.mil, www.navycollege.navy.mil or visit your base education office.
- See your Admissions Manager or Military Coordinator to request an official transcript. The evaluated SMART form will be routed to the TCL Admissions Manager, Division Dean and Registrar for inclusion in student record.
FINANCIAL AID PROCESS
For Active Duty Military and Dependants
To obtain a tuition assistance form, visit your Base Education Officer or TCL Military Coordinator. Or drop by the TCL campus.To download a tuition assistance form from the web, go to www.navycollege.navy.mil, click on Tuition Assistance, go to the bottom of the screen and click on Adobe Acrobat or MS Word format.
Military Tuition Assistance Financial Aid Process Steps
- Meet with your Academic Advisor to register for classes
- You will need to complete the admission process and meet with your academic advisor to establish your classes. The best way to receive assistance with this process is to contact the TCL Military Consultant on your bases. Click here for the admissions process. www.tcl.edu/apply or contact the TCL Admissions Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Complete the Tuition Assistance form
- List requested classes on Tuition Assistance form
- Route Tuition Assistance form to officer for signature (commanding officer, executive officer, officer in charge, or division officer)
- Obtain Education Officer’s authorization
- Students take authorized TA form to TCL Military Coordinator with payment of fees
Military Residency Requirements
Active Duty must provide a copy of military ID card to receive the in-state tuition rate. Family members must provide copy of ID card and copy of service member’s orders to receive the in-state tuition rate.