Here is a list of answers to frequently asked questions about Dual Enrollment.

Who is eligible to participate in TCL’s Dual Enrollment Program?

  • Students enrolled in public, private, or approved home-schooled program that are in high school, have appropriate placement scores, and maintain a 3.0 GPA for all high school coursework are eligible to participate. The Accuplacer placement test results will determine course eligibility. We also accept AP Exam Scores, as well as SAT and ACT Test Scores.

How much does it cost to take a Dual Enrollment course?

High school students participating in Dual Enrollment are responsible for all current tuition, fees, textbooks, and course materials unless otherwise negotiated between the College and the local high school district. Fees resulting from schedule changes are also the responsibility of the student. Dual Enrollment students may qualify for financial support through the South Carolina Education Lottery Tuition Assistance Program (LTA) to offset a portion of the costs. To be eligible for LTA, students must:

  • Be a US citizen or legal permanent resident (must present alien registration card at time of application)
  • Be a South Carolina resident for a minimum of one year (12 consecutive months) or be a qualified active duty military member or dependent.
  • Complete an Dual Enrollment Agreement/Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) Waiver form. This form indicates that the student is a Dual Enrollment participant and must be completed and approved prior to registration. Costs will be covered only if this form is processed prior to the start of classes.
  • Maintain a minimum 3.0 GPA (Grade Point Average) and follow the Student Code of Conduct thereby never being involved in administrative suspension and academic or student misconduct.

What kinds of courses can be taken?

Any available course the High School approves may be taken on any of the TCL campuses; Beaufort, Hampton and New River.

  • Arts and Sciences transfer classes in English, humanities, mathematics, language, physical sciences and social sciences.
  • Career Development and Technology courses: Business (Computer Technology, Criminal Justice, Paralegal, or General Business); Pre-Allied Health; Industrial Technology (Building Construction, CAD, Early Childcare Development, Cybersecurity, Avionics, Plumbing, Civil Design, HVAC).

All courses are college level courses and use the same syllabus, texts, and materials as any section of the course. Successful completion means earning a grade of A, B, or C. All grades are posted on the student’s official record at the completion of the course.

Where can I order my books?

  • Beaufort Campus: You can purchase your books at the TCL College Store in Bldg. 12.
  • New River & Hampton Campus: You can order your books to be sent to your Campus for you to pick up.
  • Beaufort County School District Students: You will pick up your books from your Guidance Office.
  • For more information:

How do students earn both high school and college credit for the same course?

  • Prior to beginning a course, it is the student’s responsibility to communicate with the high school regarding earning high school credit for college courses (only the high school has the authority to grant high school credit for college courses). The College awards college credits for successfully completed college courses.

Where can I sign up for New Student Orientation?

Where can I do a course search?


Where do I order a transcript?

  • Once you graduate from high school and continue your higher education to a university, you will need to request an Official TCL College Transcript be sent to your designated university of choice. TCL uses Parchment to send transcripts. Order your transcript.

Where do I pick up my student ID and parking pass?

  • Beaufort Campus: Student Records in Bldg.2
  • New River & Hampton Campus: Student Services Office

How do I know where my classes are?

  • When you are looking at your class schedule, your class will have a building number and room number next to it, as well as days and times that it meets. For a campus map:

How can I get a copy of my class schedule?

  • You can view your schedule by logging into you Self Service account at
  • You can contact your School Counselor to get a copy of your schedule.
  • If you are a home school student, you can contact the Dual Enrollment Coordinator at

How many classes do I need to enroll in to receive the Lottery Tuition Assistance?

  • Dual Enrollment Students will need to be in two courses (a minimum of 6 credit hours) to receive the Lottery Tuition Assistance.

Where can I get help with my class assignments and homework?

How do I register for my classes?

  • Once you have submitted your TCL application, submitted your test scores to TCL or tested with qualifying scores, and submitted your Dual Enrollment Agreement and Residency Declaration forms to your school counselor, please contact the Dual Enrollment Coordinator for an advising appointment at or 843-525-8336.
  • Beaufort and Hampton County Public Schools must see School Counselor for Registration.
  • Dual Enrollment students are NOT allowed to register themselves.

When do my classes need to be paid?

  • Each semester will have deadlines for tuition payment. Please make sure to pay close attention to these deadlines. For more information:

What scores do I need to place into College Level Courses?

  • Accuplacer Placement Test:
    Reading: 71
    Writing: 81
    Math: 100 ≥ EALG (Elem. Algebra)
  • Accuplacer Next Generation Placement Test:
    Reading: 249
    Writing: 249
    Math: 249,250,200
  • SAT: (Before 3/1/16)
    Reading: 480
    Writing: 480
    Math: 440
  • SAT: (After 3/1/16)
    Writing & Evidenced Based Reading: 540
    Math: 480
  • ACT:
    Social Sciences/Reading: 21
    English: 18
    Math: 22
  • TCL will also accept AP & CLEP scores.

Where can I send my unofficial and official SAT, ACT, CLEP or AP scores to?

  • Please send official transcripts to:
    Admissions ● PO Box 1288 ● Beaufort, SC 29901
  • Please send unofficial scores to

Who will the teacher be?

  • All instructors teaching TCL courses are approved full time or adjunct instructors of the College. If you are taking a course on a high school campus, the instructor may be a teacher from your school. However, that instructor meets the same requirements as if he/she were teaching at one of the TCL campuses. The same syllabus, texts and materials are used regardless of location.

Does a certain grade have to be earned?

  • Yes, to be successful in a TCL course means that you must earn a grade of A, B, or C. If your grade is a D or F, you must repeat the course. This means that if your intention is to take a sequence of courses like ENG 101 and ENG 102, if you make a grade of C or higher in ENG 101, you can progress to ENG 102.
  • Note: Students who transfer to any college or university in South Carolina and who plan to take advantage of the LIFE Scholarship must maintain a 3.0 GPA for all college level coursework.

Do all college courses transfer to four-year colleges or universities?

  • TCL participates in a statewide articulation agreement that lists 86 specific courses that are guaranteed to transfer to the state’s publicly supported colleges and universities. Career Development and Technology courses may be transferable to a related program of study. It is the decision of the receiving college or university to approve the transfer of credit.

What is the attendance policy?

  • TCL expects that students will participate in all scheduled instructional classes and laboratory periods, regardless of the mode of delivery. To be eligible to receive a passing grade, students are expected to be in class on time and to attend a minimum of 90% of the total class hours of class or laboratory periods for each course. Students are responsible for making up the work missed during any absence. If a student exceeds the 10% limit on absences, the instructor may withdraw the student from the class, or examine the extending circumstances and allow the student to continue in the class and make up the work. An absence is defined as nonattendance for any reason, including illness, emergency, or official leave. If you arrive late to class, you may not be allowed into the classroom and may be considered absent for that class. If you leave before the instructor dismisses the group, you may also be considered absent.

What is the process for a Dual Enrollment student with a documented disability?

  • The provision of services for students with documented disabilities is different than in high school. You will be required to provide current documentation of your disability and the need for the accommodations you request. Evaluation of your documents will take at least five working days. If you wish to determine your eligibility for accommodations during classes or Placement Testing, please contact the ADA Office at (843) 525-8219. Hearing impaired students may call (843) 525-8219.